Level III Officials Course Scheduled for Canmore March 18 - 22 2017
Join fellow cross country ski officials from across Canada for this exciting opportunity to learn from a variety of our sport’s top officials, to share event management experiences and to network with other club, division and national officials. Offered in conjunction with the 2017 Canadian Ski Nationals at Canmore Nordic Centre it represents an ideal opportunity to review a number of interesting event formats under the direction of an experienced Organizing Committee. This facilitated course will combine a series of expert-led sessions with on-site event observation assignments and participant presentations on pre-course assigned topics. Pre and post course assignments complete the evaluation components of this course.
A LEVEL 3 OFFICIALS COURSE is designed to prepare officials to:
- effectively structure, staff and manage a Competition Committee at Division through National level events,
- perform any “major official” role at the National Championship level,
- lead an event organizing committee for a major event,
- perform the role of a Divisional TD,
- be familiar with CCC technical packages, CCC/FIS rules and make appropriate rule interpretations as they apply to CCC Tier 1 and Tier 2 level competitions
- Qualified Level 2 Officials seeking Level 3 certification. See below reference from the Officials’ Manual – updated Oct 2012)
- existing Level 3 and 4 Officials/TDs who have not been recertified since 2008 (i.e. have not taken a Level 3 Officials Course or CCC/FIS TD Seminar Course.)
- Guest participants who belong to OCs that will be hosting Tier 2 ? level competitions in the near future. (Guests should email Al Maddox – email@example.com for approval)
The course participant must:
- be recommended by his/her division.
- have performed at least two different “major official*” duties and at least three different “secondary official**” duties at the BC cup or national championships (or equivalent) level events (log book documentation may be required).
- hold Level 2 officials certification.
*Major Role: This category includes duties which require an in-depth knowledge of the rules and regulations and race organization. The lines of communication, authority, and responsibility must be understood. These positions require very good management skills. Chief of Competition, Chief of Stadium, Chief of Course, Competition Secretary, Chief of Timekeeping, and Data Processing (Chief of Competition Security)
**Secondary Role: This category includes duties which require competence in their own single area of responsibility. A general knowledge of rules and regulations and race organization is necessary. Positions in this group tend to be predominantly task oriented. Some examples of secondary role positions are: Chief of Start, Chief of Stadium Preparation, Chief of Competition Security, Chief of Controllers, Chief of Manual Timing, Chief of Results, Chief of Ski Marking, Chief of Equipment, Chief of Medical Services, Chief of Ski Marking, Chief of Mechanical Grooming, Individual Technical and Administrative Roles.
COURSE SCHEDULE: 4 pm - 8 pm Saturday, March 18
8 am – 9 pm Sun.- Tues., March 19 – 21
9 am – 4 pm Wednesday, March22
REGISTRATION DEADLINE: February 28, 2017